The Oregon State football team was embarrassed over the weekend by Colorado State. The 58-27 beat down turned ugly in the second half when the Beavers defense could not stop Colorado State and the offense wasn’t doing them any favors. It would be easy to try and make excuses for the poor performance (heat, altitude, charged-up team opening a new stadium etc.) but Coach Andersen did not want to hear any excuses in his press conference yesterday.
Gary Andersen called for the Beavers to be more “edgy” and “to put on their big-boy pants.” He also encouraged them to be men and increase their level of toughness. Andersen took particular exception to Xavier Crawford’s post-game comment that Colorado State just came out hot in the second half and the Beavers weren’t ready for it. "If that's the way he feels, then he needs to look in the mirror and get his own a** ready to play.”
- The Beavers didn’t look like a tough, defensive-minded Gary Andersen football program on Saturday. John Canzano speculated that they lost their identity and also wondered if they suffered a Civil War hangover.
- Oregon State is moving on to their next match-up with Portland State and Coach Andersen thinks the game will be beneficial for both programs. He also appeared to swap notes with former assistant and current BYU head coach, Kalani Sitake. Portland State managed to give BYU quite the challenge in ‘Week 0’ before succumbing, 20-6.
- Over at Beaversedge.com Marcus Greaves gave his “5 Takeaways” from the discouraging loss.
- Oregon State’s injury report was released today. Seth Collins has been ruled out for the second week in a row and Elu Aydon is listed as “questionable”.
- The Beavers did receive some good news though. True freshman CB, Isaiah Dunn, has been cleared academically and will play against Portland State. (According to Kerry Eggers)
- In other news, former Oregon State star Jacquizz Rodgers is preparing to start for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as Doug Martin serves his three-game suspension. Even Jacquizz was disappointed in the Beavers defense though.
We let Colorado St put up 58 against us..Cmon Beavs we gotta do better.— JacQuizz Rodgers (@Qui22Rodgers) August 27, 2017