- The former Oregon State Beavers star guard will be continuing his NBA journey a little closer to Corvallis. Gary Payton II signed a training camp deal with the Portland Trail Blazers earlier this week.
Chinanu Onuaku, Cam Oliver and Gary Payton II have agreed to training camp deals with Portland, league sources tell ESPN.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) September 3, 2018
Payton II was previously with the Los Angeles Lakers. His NBA career has also included stints with Milwaukee and Houston, mostly with their G-League teams.
- Oregon State football will face Southern Utah this week in their home opener. With Jake Luton still going through concussion protocol, Conor Blount will likely be the starter. Blount is at least preparing as if he will start. If he does get the start, there’s reason to be optimistic. Blount threw for 168 yards and two touchdowns in the first half of the loss to Ohio State this past weekend.
- Here’s something interesting: on John Canzano’s radio show, OSU AD Scott Barnes made the comment that the Beavs will not be scheduling games against perennial college football powerhouses like Ohio State anymore because that. Essentially, Barnes believes that taking the payday from those type of games does not outweigh the program momentum that would come from playing middle-of-the-road programs and winning
Overall...I think I agree with where he’s coming from. What do you think?
- In baseball news, OSU great Cadyn Grenier is keeping his streak of great games going in the Baltimore Orioles minor league system. When you add up just how much Grenier has had to travel to play since getting drafted, combined with just how many months he has been consistently playing, it’s pretty staggering. The Baltimore Sun ran a story on that earlier this week.
The Orioles sent Cadyn Grenier from the College World Series to the South Atlantic League so he'd know "there’s a new gear that you’ve got to get to." On his transition, repeating his A swing, and the strong ending to his pro debut: https://t.co/paerivwQ9L— Jon Meoli (@JonMeoli) September 4, 2018
- Finally, in soccer news, Don Tchilao earned Pac-12 player of the week honors after a big goal in the Beavs’ win against Sacramento State. Congrats Don!
.@BeaverMSoccer's senior Don Tchilao helped lead the Beavers to victory over the weekend netting a goal and assist.— Pac-12 Network (@Pac12Network) September 4, 2018
He is your #Pac12Soccer Player of the Week: https://t.co/kTzJOGFutj pic.twitter.com/Pjs0Wwd8za