Earlier this month we learned that the Pac-12 would finally step into the modern age and televise its media days for the first time ever. Excitement and hope followed. Little did we know this would be a deathblow to the traditional start of football season.
Television viewers got to see conference commissioner Larry Scott make an opening statement, then instead of airing each coach's press conference, three Pac-12 Network analysts asked each of the six coaches and 12 players in attendance what appeared to be mostly scripted questions. It was one of the most boring things I've ever seen.
For those that made the trip to Hollywood on the other hand, the experience sounded excellent. As SB Nation's Jason Kirk describe it, the Pac-12's media days really are the chillest media days. There were horse masks, outdoor couches, corn hole (the top tailgating game in the world), new white helmets for each team on display, cucumber water, a trip to the taping of Jimmy Kimmel Live, and complimentary sunscreen. Welcome to Los Angeles.
While the entire thing was pretty boring to watch on TV from rainy Portland, there were some quotes that made me laugh. Here they are.
The Top Five
1. "I could tell you how excited I am to be here like every other coach, but I'd be lying. I'd rather still be on vacation." -- Arizona's Rich Rodriguez on, well, being there.
2. "I’m not standing around the block for doughnuts. A lot of doughnut lovers. I wish you the best, but not me." -- Washington State's Mike Leach on Voodoo Doughnuts.
3. "Oregon changes out facilities like Port-o-Potties. Every few years they're like, 'We need a new one." -- Rich Rodriguez
4. "I think Mike Leach only laughs at his own jokes." -- Washington State's Darryl Monroe on his coach's humor.
5. "Win one game a week. How about that?" -- Mike Leach on his goals for this season.
You can watch day 2 online, as well as on the Pac-12 Channel.
Oregon St. is up today, at about 10:54 AM, though the schedule deviated more than a little yesterday.
Here's today's schedule:
|Guests||On Pac-12 Networks|
|Colorado's Mike MacIntyre, Nelson Spruce, Judah Parker||9:38 a.m.|
|Arizona State's Todd Graham, Taylor Kelly, Jamil Douglas||10:16 a.m.|
|Oregon State's Mike Riley, Sean Mannion, Michael Doctor||10:54 a.m.|
|UCLA's Jim Mora, Brett Hundley, Eric Kendricks||11:32 a.m.|
|Washington's Chris Petersen, Ben Riva, Hau'oli Kikaha||12:11 p.m.|
|Stanford's David Shaw, Kevin Hogan, Jordan Richards||1:04 p.m.|