Sorry, I have a new job that's taking a lot of time--and will continue to take a lot of my time this season--but, at least I've not been spending any time with GirlduJour3000, either. So I got that going for me.
Anyways. Penn State. Does anyone think this game is really that big of a deal? It's probably only the 5th or 6th best team we'll face this season. That doesn't make them bad, it just means they're not a big deal.
Personally, I think it's hilarious how much hype this game is getting in the local papers. Stanford was a MUCH more important game. Much, much, much more important. Too bad we didn't win it though.
Penn State is...
- a fringe top 25 team not very far removed from a 3-win season and several recent losing seasons
- the owner of a huge stadium
- a respected name--for their play in the last century
- a team with 20% of its roster charged with a crime in the last year
- a team with 20% of its starters being investigated for drugs THIS WEEK
- a team without a quarterback
- a team with experienced, though incredibly average, receivers
- a team with a superior offensive line
- a team with a great defensive line--when they're not suspended/jailed
- a team with a questionable secondary
- a team that runs practically the same offense that Joe Paterno ran as a high school quarterback (he seriously ran a shotgun, no huddle offense in high school--that is not made up)
- a team whose fans get excited about wearing white--that's about as boring as it gets, no offense intended
Might as well call them Ho-Hum State.