Oregon State earned their second victory in the young season behind a stout defense and excellent offensive line. The Beavers dominated the trenches against FCS foe Idaho and pitched their first shutout since 2008! B.J. Baylor continued his strong start to the season (7 rush TDs now) and the Beavers rushed 250 yards on the ground. Here’s how the two halves played out:
Oregon State won the toss and deferred to the 2nd half. Idaho had their moments in the first half. There was the 9-play, 44-yard drive to start the game that Oregon State finally ended on a 4th down stop. Later in the first half Oregon-native CJ Jordan showed off his elusiveness at QB and converted a number of first downs. It didn’t matter in the end though as Oregon State scored touchdowns on their first 4 possessions (first 6 actually if you don’t count the end of the half 57 second drive). Tyjon Lindsey, BJ Baylor, Deshaun Fenwick & Teagan Quitorano all had first half touchdowns to make it 28-0.
The rain started to pick-up a bit more in the 2nd half. Chance Nolan was really impressive today he completed 14 passes to nine different receivers (175 yards & 3TDs). The Beavers continued to focus on the ground game though as they built a solid lead. Sam Noyer came in for Nolan in the third, but was hit on a drop back which lead to Oregon State’s only turnover and great Idaho field position. The Vandals definitely could have put some points up today, but they were just 1-for-5 on 4th downs and they weren’t going to settle for a field goal down big. Sam Vidlak came in for a couple of drives late in the game, but wasn’t asked to do too much besides handoff or make a few short throws.
- Chance Nolan is really good and will absolutely be the starting quarterback going forward
- The offensive line did what they were supposed to do and looked like one of the best position groups today.
- B.J. Baylor offically looks like the #1 running back. 7 touchdowns in three games is awesome.
- Oregon State has a boatload of playmakers. 11 receivers caught passes today and that doesn’t even include Anthony Gould who was the star vs. Hawaii.
- The Beavs are over .500!
- Next up is USC. The Trojans fell behind WSU 14-0 and were forced to play true freshman Jaxson Dart at QB after Kedon Slovis got hurt... But then the Trojans rattled off 45 unanswered points. Next week should be a big game for the Beavs.
- Enjoy the rain and have a great week Beaver Nation!