Colorado Buffaloes (2-6, 1-4)
Look there’s no way to sugarcoat it, Colorado’s offense has been really bad this season. They haven’t been able to run the ball effectively; ranking 104th in the FBS (120.6 rush yards per game). And their pass offense was dreadful to start the season. They currently rank 127th in the FBS (130.4 pass yards per game). The good news for Colorado fans has looked better in recent weeks. They put up 29 points in a blowout loss to Oregon and smashed lowly Arizona 34-0 for their first Pac-12 win. Oregon State’s defense is trending in the opposite direction of Colorado’s offense coming off a disappointing performance versus the Golden Bears. I think Oregon State will be able to run the ball effectively this afternoon, but I’ll be focused when the Beavers defense is on the field. Did they use this week to work out the kinks or is the defense breaking down as the season rolls on?
Three Things To Know
- Quarterback Brendon Lewis is a dual-threat: Colorado’s QB1 is just as dangerous with his legs as his arm. He’s thrown for over 1000 yards and 7 touchdowns on the season, but has also ran for 265 yards. While the Buffs offense has been much-maligned this Beaver defense is reeling a bit after failing to contain Cal’s offense. Brendon Lewis will be the key to the game if Colorado wins this one.
- Jarek Broussard & Alex Fontenot form a solid 1-2 RB punch: Combined they have 628 yards and 5 touchdowns on the year. Their numbers don’t look impressive compared to B.J. Baylor and Oregon State’s run-heavy offense, but don’t let that fool you. Broussard had a fantastic season last year and either one of Colorado’s backs could have a big game this afternoon.
- The Beavers are BIG favorites currently (-11.5): Oregon State is double-digit favorites on the road, with bowl-eligibility just on the horizon. The Beavers haven’t been favored this much versus an FBS opponent since Hawaii and that worked out fairly well. I am nervous that this game could be a potential let down like the WSU & Cal game, but if the defense can contain Colorado the offense should have more than enough in the tank to bring home their sixth win of the season.
- Date: Saturday, November 6th
- Time: 4:00 PM PT
- Location: Folsom Field (Boulder, Colorado)
- Coverage: Pac-12 Network