Welcome to a new weekly feature where I ramble on about random thoughts I had on last weeks game and the game ahead. I will usually try to drop it on Tuesday, but you know, being a busy adult with things and whatnot sometimes it may not happen til Thursday. In future weeks I will try to take notes during the game instead of relying on my memory.
- That first drive by Oregon State was an absolute thing of beauty. The touchdown pass to cap it off was perfect. That Luton-Hodgins connection is legit.
- I was impressed with Luton’s mobility. Obviously he isn’t a dual threat, but he is no longer a statue and was able to make some plays with his feet.
- I truly believe the defense is better. I know that sounds weird to say after that game, but I did see a lot of little things that gave me more hope. It will be interesting to see what they do when they play a bad offense. Last year even bad offenses looked great, hopefully this year they only look average. Baby steps.
- Speaking of the defense, Addison Gumbs is a player. When he is fully healthy and can be an every down player it will make a huge difference. I lost track of how often he seemed to be in the backfield, but it was a ton.
- Oklahoma State fans travel well... or there are a large amount of Oklahoma State fans in Oregon. Either way when I went to the concession stand and everyone else in Orange start doing some Oklahoma State chant I was both very confused and rather impressed.
- Speaking of Oklahoma State, they need to get a faster bus or something. They stayed in Eugene but it took “an hour and 35 minutes to get to the stadium” according to Gundy. I live in Eugene( I know...) and that drive shouldn’t take more than an hour.
- I already miss the mullet jokes... until next time my friend.
- Gonna be honest. The Reser atmosphere kinda sucks. I get it though. The product on the field has been awful for years, but when I get into Corvallis 30 minutes before the game and find a great parking spot and empty streets it’s kinda sad.
- On that topic according to my friend, someone who was hugging a garbage can pregame asked me if I wanted to fight. I did not hear this question and kept walking, but to that person... no thanks.
- It’s still early in the season, and I expect the defense to improve, but I think it’s fair to at least have some questions regarding Tim Tibesar and whether or not he should be the defensive coordinator.
- I found myself thinking of the late great Mitch Hedberg early in the third quarter.
To be fair, I think of Mitch Hedberg a lot, but this felt timely.
- I keep thinking back to those 3 consecutive 3 and outs. What a different game it could of been if the offense hadn’t stalled.
- I think the Beavs return from Hawaii 1-1.
- People are making a big deal out of this game being on Facebook are forgetting that most games are on Pac-12 network which is way harder to find then Facebook. It’s not like it’s on MySpace.
- What do people that live in Hawaii do for vacations?
- Look for Jermar Jefferson to get some more consistent touches this week. I say he breaks 150.
- In order to make my 1-1 prediction come true, the defense will have to break out that sweet sweet chainsaw at least 2-3 times. Hawaii turned it over 6 times (SIX) against Arizona, so 2-3 is not out of reach.
- This game may not end until 2 am with these offenses. Don’t expect a coherent game recap from me, but then again most my posts are rather incoherent anyway.
Tell me your thoughts below. Like I said in the open, in future weeks I plan on taking notes during the game for a more robust list.