Well it’s Friday, and I completely lost track of time this week, so here is a late week edition of my random thoughts and musings.
- First off, I dont know the last time I was this salty following an Oregon State game. That game upset me more than any other game of the past few years.
- I want to hang out with the Hawaii announcers. They appreciate the little things in life, like a beautiful down marker.
- One of the things I always have loved about Hawaii games is the sideline camera in the back of a pickup truck. I don’t know why I enjoy that so much, but I do.
- Man Jermar Jefferson and Artavis Pierce is one hell of a 1-2 punch, would have been fun to see if they could keep it up in the second half.
- I wonder if we mailed JoJo Ward an invitation to our spring game.
- That fake punt was one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. I just don’t get it. Why not trust your actual offense at that point instead of a guy who never throws the ball.
- Did anyone else feel like the second half was watching a weird version of Space Jam where the aliens came in at half time and took away all our offenses talent. Maybe coach Smith should have brought out some of Michael’s Secret Stuff.
- I would have preferred a Hail Mary at the end of the game. Obviously it’s still a longshot but it’s more likely to work, especially when you have a big armed QB like Luton. Maybe Hodgins goes up and gets it, maybe there is a pass interference, I don’t know but seems more likely to have a positive result
- Throwing punches is never good in a football game, but it’s even worse when you try to punch another dude in the helmet. That’s gonna hurt you more than it is him.
- Gus Lavaka and Kaleb Hayes got off easy. A half game punishment is pretty weak in my opinion. It seems like Smith didn’t want to punish them, but knew he had to. It’s not enough.
- I referred to the Hawaii game as the dumbest game I have ever seen. A friend told me that was a bold claim. He is right, but I'm still not sure its wrong. I have seen worse games. I have seen more heartbreaking games. Not sure I have seen one that dumb.
- I wonder what Smith’s loyalty to assistant coaches is. In vastly different ways, unwillingness to make changes on the staff were the reasons for the last two OSU coaches struggles. Mike Riley had fierce loyalty to his and truly believed in them even when a change was likely necessary, while Gary Andersen seemed to hate his, but didn’t really do anything about it. I don’t think we are at the point were firing assistants is necessary, but if this season doesn’t improve I think he has to go into the offseason willing to make changes.
- Injuries suck. Every team goes through them, but they are way harder for teams with limited depth. We learned that Addison Gumbs tore his other ACL and is out for the year (have to wonder if he is eligible for another year due to his injures) Nathan Eldridge has serious ankle sprain, Matthew Tago is out for an extended period of time, and David Morris is still nursing a foot injury. If you ever needed a FCS game followed by a bye week, this is it.
- Cal Poly runs the triple option and that scares me. I fully expect Oregon State to win, but I am worried that the Mustangs are gonna put up a lot more points than anyone in Beaver Nation will be comfortable with.
- I hate FCS games. I get that it’s nearly a guaranteed win, but they do absolutely nothing for me. It’s basically a gloried scrimmage that could result in a national embarrassment.
- This weeks game is going to be on the Pac12 Network Oregon, which apparently is mostly broadcast in SD. This should get more ridicule then having a game on facebook to be honest. At least facebook didn’t run an ad for Oregon State while highlighting Oklahoma State fans.
What thoughts have been gnawing at you this week?