On Wednesday, the Oregon State football team hosted their annual media. In his first one as the Beavs head coach, Jonathan Smith said that he believes that his team has the talent to “win games in the Pac-12”. We will get a glimpse of how much truth there is to that statement starting on Friday as the Beavers open Fall practice. The Corvallis Gazette-Times talked a bit about what to expect in fall camp here.
Oregon State athletics always produces fantastic video pieces. Yesterday, they released the first episode of a new series of documentary style shorts that will follow Smith and the football program this season. It’s equal parts insightful and give you chills kind of exciting.
Smith is visibly excited to get this team to work, which is pretty encouraging. That’s the kind of attitude that you want to see a coach approach a rebuild with. You can see his excitement as he talks about his team in this little scrum from media day. The video is from Rip City Radio.
Then there’s this: Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer has been put on paid administrative leave in the wake of a scandal involving his recently-fired receivers coach and said coach’s abusive relationship with his ex-wife. Here are a few items of essential reading on the matter from around SBN. Oregon State football opens their season at Ohio State in less than a month.
- Ohio State places Urban Meyer on administrative leave amid questions over his handling of abuse allegations
- This is the end of the Urban Meyer era at Ohio State
- What Ohio State would have to defend in order to keep Urban Meyer
- Ohio State closes off media access while the school investigates Urban Meyer
Also, USA Today revealed their preseason coaches poll on Thursday. I’m just as surprised as you are that Oregon State didn’t receive any votes...I’m assuming you’re not all that surprised.
In other football news, coach Smith confirmed that defensive lineman Ronnie Audette and linebacker Craig Francois will not be joining the program. Both players signed with Oregon State earlier this year.
If you were looking for an update on what’s happening with Mike Riley...apparently he does in fact plan of working his new job as a head coach in the Alliance of American Football as well as a member of the Oregon State football staff in some capacity this year. Riley was replaced as tight ends coach earlier this summer by Brian Wozniak.
“I was conflicted,” Mike Riley said Wednesday morning at Valley Football Center. “I really loved what I was doing (at Oregon State), but I was also really intrigued about being a head coach again." #gobeavs https://t.co/fQJdCwymfo— Steve Gress (@stevegress19) August 2, 2018
Finally, we found the perfect Twitter account providing updates on Beaver baseball star Nick Madrigal’s fast rise through the minors and inability to strike out.
- Oregon State Football: Most Valuable Player Countdown - #23 Conor Blount
- BTD’s Best All-Time Basketball Player: #1 A.C. Green v. #8 David Lucas (Black Bracket)
- 4-Star Quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. Commits To Penn State Over OSU
- Top 5 Receivers OSU Will Face In 2018
- Oregon State Football: Most Valuable Player Countdown- #24 Omar Hicks-Onu