clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Washington downs Oregon State, 42-7

The Huskies stayed undefeated after an easy victory in Corvallis

NCAA Football: Washington at Oregon State Jaime Valdez-USA TODAY Sports

Game Summary

Despite an encouraging Oregon State defensive performance in the first half; Washington delivered the beatdown that everyone was expecting. The Beavers offense struggled mightily and never developed any sort of rhythm or consistency. Washington outgained the Beavs 509-to-184 in total yards and the game was never in doubt in the second half.


The Beavers got the ball to start the game, but accomplished little on the opening drive. After a gorgeous Nick Porebski punt the Huskies went on a 10-play, 98 yard drive capped off with a Jake Browning rushing touchdown and Washington took a 7-0 lead. But then a funny thing happened, the Oregon State defense started to play with some fire and energy. The Beavers recorded three sacks in the first half and while Washington still managed 14 first downs, they didn’t score again after their opening drive. The Huskies had another touchdown erased by a holding penalty and then they missed a 42-yard field goal. The Oregon State offense looked hopeless, but the Beavers were hanging around with the 6th-ranked Huskies.


The Huskies came out of the second half ready to air-it-out and drew some pass interference penalties against the Beavers. Oregon State forced a fourth and 10 deep in Oregon State territory and instead of settling for a field goal Chris Petersen left his offense out on the field. They ran a draw play to get the first down and then Browning quickly threw a fade to Pettis for the second touchdown of the game, 14-0 Washington. Oregon State’s offensive woes continued and Pettis added another touchdown catch for the game, 21-0 Washington. Ryan Nall rolled his ankle and later Artavis Pierce appeared to have the wind knocked out of him. David Morris picked off a Browning pass after it was tipped around, but the Oregon State offense still couldn’t move the ball. A Myles Gaskin touchdown run put the Huskies up 28-0. Pettis’ third touchdown catch of the game officially turned the game into a rout. Late in the game Thomas Tyner scored on a 12-yard touchdown run to keep the Beavers from being shutout, 42-7.