- While on-the-court, the 2016-2017 season didn’t go so well for Oregon State, off-the-court, the Beavers were one of the more impressive academic teams in the country, earning them a “Team Academic Excellence Award” from the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC). Oregon State was one of just two teams in the Pac-12 to receive the accolade (Stanford), which recognizes programs with a cumulative team GPA of 3.0 or better.
- The newest member of the Oregon State women’s basketball team may also be the newest member of the USA U-23 team, as guard Destiny Slocum has accepted an invitation to the team’s training camp, which will take place from July 31st to August 4th. A recent transfer from Maryland, Slocum will try to make the squad of twelve players, who will be coached by Louisville’s Jeff Walz at the 2017 U-23 Four Nations Tournament in Tokyo, Japan. Slocum previously competed for Team USA at the U-19 level, where she won a gold medal in the 2015 FIBA World Championships.
- We’ve chronicled just how well former Oregon State star Victor Butler is doing up in the Canadian Football League (CFL) before, but now as one of the best all-around talents in the CFL, Butler’s game is beginning to be too good to not take note of. That’s why the Toronto Sun penned this piece about how Butler has been “lighting it up” lately for the Argos, as a focal point of the team’s resurgence this season. You can also hear Butler take the mic to answer some questions on Episode 3 of the team’s “Double Blue” podcast.
- The Portland Tribune is busy sizing up the Oregon State football quarterback situation just like everyone else is, as they took a look at the recent illness and weight loss of Beavers gunslinger Jake Luton and how he’s preparing to try and earn the team’s starting spot. Luton is competing for the gig with last year’s starting quarterbacks of Marcus McMaryion and Darell Garretson. The trio all split time at the position in Oregon State’s spring game.
- And finally, we leave you with a video from CSN Northwest that features Andrew Nemec of the Oregonian breaking down the Beavers 2018 football recruiting class. We could tell you what’s discussed in the clip but sometimes, you just have to watch it for yourself.
NBA SUMMER LEAGUE
- Gary Payton II Adds 11 Points & 5 Steals In Milwaukee Bucks Loss
- Washington Wizards Guard Jared Cunningham Drops 10 Points in Loss