With less than a week until the WNBA Draft takes place, Bleacher Report has jumped on the WNBA Mock Draft train, releasing their version of how they project the first round of the selection process going. In their projections, the Oregon State star is expected to be the #8 overall player taken, by the Connecticut Sun.
Bleacher Report WNBA 1st Round Mock Draft
(1) San Antonio Stars - Kelsey Plum, G, Washington
(2) Chicago Sky - Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, G, Maryland
(3) Dallas Wings - Brionna Jones, C, Maryland
(4) Dallas Wings - Alaina Coates, C, South Carolina
(5) San Antonio Stars - Allisha Gray, G, South Carolina
(6) Washington Mystics - Chantel Osahor, F, Washington
(7) Atlanta Dream - Alexis Jones, G, Baylor
(8) Connecticut Sun - Sydney Wiese, G, Oregon State
(9) Chicago Sky - Nia Coffey, F, Northwestern
(10) Dallas Wings - Erica McCall, C, Stanford
(11) Los Angeles Sparks - Alexis Peterson, G, Syracuse
(12) Minnesota Lynx - Brittney Sykes, G, Syracuse
Wiese’s projection as a first-round pick is identical to Draft Site’s newest projection, which also has Wiese as the #8 overall pick. In more recent mock drafts, Draft Site has had Wiese projected as high as the #6 overall pick, after earlier having her ranked as a likely second-round selection. Another WNBA mock draft service over at Excelle Sports has Wiese projected in similar standings, as the #9 overall pick.
Wiese’s recent invitation to physically attend the WNBA Draft is another good sign for the Beavers legend, who will join a group of fellow notable standouts who are all projected as likely first-round selections. A draft profile for Wiese can be found below, highlighting her stats and accolades from her Oregon State career.
Sydney Wiese: WNBA Draft Profile
⇒ 6’ 1”, PG / Phoenix, AZ
⇒ 15.2 PPG, 4.9 RPG, 4.5 APG
⇒ Pac-12 All-Time leader In Three-Pointers Made (373)
⇒ 42.6% Three-Point Percentage (16th in nation)
⇒ Oregon State All-Time Assists Leader (626)
⇒ Fifth On Oregon State All-Time Scoring List (1,824)
⇒ Four-Time All Pac-12 Selection
⇒ Senior CLASS Award Winner
⇒ Wooden Award All-America Team (1st)
⇒ USBWA All-America Team (1st)
⇒ ESPNW All-America Team (2nd)
⇒ AP All-America Team (3rd)
⇒ WBCA All-Region Team
⇒ Pac-12 Scholar Athlete of the Year
The WNBA Draft will take place on April 13th, 2017 at 4:00 PM PT and will be televised nationally on ESPN2 (First Round) and ESPNU (Second & Third Rounds). Eight of the last nine #1 overall picks in the WNBA Draft have gone on to win Rookie of the Year in their debut seasons. This year, the first pick in the WNBA Draft will be made by the San Antonio Stars, who won the WNBA Lottery after finishing the 2016 season with a 7-27 record.