- It looks like the New England Patriots may have played some “numbers games” in their acquisition of former Oregon State wide receiver Brandin Cooks, which could once display the true brilliance of the NFL’s most enigmatic team. ESPN breaks down how the money-crunching move could make Cooks one of the best bargains in the league for this upcoming season.
- We won’t claim to know all that much about gymnastics, but we do know that the Oregon State women’s gymnastics team had quite the season, which unfortunately ended in heartbreaking fashion on Friday at the NCAA Championships in Saint Louis. The Corvallis Gazette-Times was hot on the scoop about the women’s bittersweet finale, which is expected to only serve as a springboard to more success down the line for the program.
- Now for some WNBA news in this edition of “Quick Links”, the selection of Sydney Wiese with the #11 overall pick by the Los Angeles Sparks in the WNBA Draft, is not only a chance for Wiese to meet up again with old Beavers teammate Jamie Weisner, but also the culmination of a dream that’s been a lifetime in the making. Not sure what we’re talking about? Check out OregonLive’s piece on the story surrounding the defining moment of Wiese’s legendary basketball career.
- Even more WNBA news, it’s been reported by the Dallas News-SportsDay that another former Oregon State stand-out in Ruth Hamblin, will not be playing in the WNBA this upcoming season, to instead focus on training to make Canada’s National Team in 2018. The news comes as a bit of a surprise, considering Hamblin is still trying to find her footing in the league, after averaging just 1.1 points and 1.5 rebounds per game last year.
- Oregon State’s baseball team may have picked up a surprise loss to Washington on Thursday (only their second defeat all-season long) but they still managed to win the series heading into their road trip at UCLA.
- As for the Beavers’ basketball team, they’re just about as long and as a long-shot can be to win the 2018 National Championship, despite the fact that they welcome a top-forty recruiting class to Corvallis.
- And oh yeah, we’re hiring here at Building The Dam. So if you’re got some writing experience and think you’ll be a good fit for our team, let us know!