clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

OSU Target, 3-Star RB Calvin Tyler Jr., To Announce His Decision On Wednesday

Oregon State and Illinois are rumored to be the Texas tailback’s final two schools.

Twitter - Calvin Tyler Jr. (@BlessedAthleteC)

After a strong recruiting weekend that saw three players announce their commitment to Oregon State, the Beavers may be adding another pivotal piece to the mix when three-star running back Calvin Tyler Jr. announces his decision on Wednesday. Tyler Jr., a 5’ 9”, 190 pound rusher from Silsbee, Texas, also holds offers from California, Fresno State, Illinois, Louisiana Tech, but he publicly stated that the Beavers were a “slight favorite” even before his visit to Corvallis this weekend. He recently mentioned the new timetable for his decision in a Twitter post.

24/7 Sports “Crystal Ball Prediction” gives Tyler Jr. a 75% likelihood to pick Oregon State, with just a 25% chance of him committing to Illinois. Those two schools are viewed as the favorites for the all-purpose back’s services at this stage in his recruiting. However, the timing of his most recent visit to Oregon State could be the only indicator that Tyler Jr. has given to the anticipating public.

The potential commitment of Tyler Jr. would be crucial for the Beavers’ 2017 recruiting class, which currently boasts only one running back in four-star rusher T.J. Green from Chandler, Arizona. Green, who committed to Oregon State back in August of 2016, recently took a visit to Utah and the swirling suspicions that Green could be pursuing his options away from Corvallis are growing by the minute.

If Tyler Jr. does pick the Beavers, he will be the 22nd scholarship player to commit to the 2017 class for Oregon State. The group is led by three four-star commits in the aforementioned Green, as well as defensive tackle Craig Evans and wide receiver Isaiah Hodgins.