Wow what a day. That other school in Oregon hired a head coach. We lost Brent Brennan to San Jose State. And now the Ochocino rumor mill is swirling around Corvallis (okay confession we are the only ones currently engaging in the swirling of this rumor).
Allow me to speculate: An hour after the announcement that Oregon State no longer had a receiver's coach... Chad Johnson tweeted the above tweet in question. Coincidence? I think not.
How perfect would hiring Chad Johnson, formerly Chad Ochocinco, also technically formerly Chad Johnson, be? Let’s examine his résumé real quick:
- He legally changed his last name to Ochocinco because Carson Palmer wouldn’t let him pretend to have that name.
- He pioneered the use of the end zone pylon as a putter.
- He tried to give an official a dollar bill during a game
- He brought a poncho and sombrero to the stadium in order to wear both while celebrating a touchdown.
- In 2005 he kept a list of every defensive back that covered him, giving them a grade after each game.
- He did this:
I could go on forever.
Okay so this is only half a joke (maybe 75% a joke).
Chad Johnson played at Oregon State. In his lone transfer season, he had 8 touchdown catches and helped the Beavers beat Notre Dame in the 2001 Fiesta Bowl.
Chad Johnson is one of the most electric wide receivers to ever play in the NFL. He set 6 different Bengal’s receiving records, went to 6 Pro Bowls, and this year, in his first year of eligibility, is a candidate for the NFL Hall of Fame.
Chad Johnson kind of sort of has some coaching experience. He very briefly served as as a quasi-receiver’s coach for the Cleveland Browns. Ironically, he got that job in basically the exact same way. Via tweeting.
Most importantly, Chad Johnson would be the greatest recruiting tool since USC made it so that we couldn’t give people cars anymore. Can you imagine a high school senior having Chad “Ochocinco” Johnson walk into their living room and ask them to come play football at Oregon State?