clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Texas Trip Flips A Linebacker

Darrell Songy has switched from Texas St. to Oregon St.
Darrell Songy has switched from Texas St. to Oregon St.

Oregon St.'s elevated profile in Texas has produced another commitment. Darrell Songy, a 6'1" 220 lb. LB who originally committed to Texas St., has changed his mind, and decided to join the Beavers.

Songy, considered a 2 star recruit by, is from Pflugerville, TX, where current Beaver Storm Woods hails from, though Songy played for John B Connally High, not Woods' Plugerville High.

Here's his highlights:

Songy is the 21st recruit for the 2013 class, and while that's not over the NCAA limit of 25 for the year, Oregon St. is now over the 85 scholarship limit if all the verbal commits make it into school. Songy could be a candidate to greyshirt, and enroll next winter term.

Not Guilty Pleas Entered

The outcome of the legal proceedings involving 2 of the 3 Oregon St. players arrested after a bar fight back on Dec. 8 could ultimately impact the scholarship count (Rudolph Fifita is a senior), but that won't be determined for a while.

There was news late this week on that issue, however, as Fifita, 26, Mana Rosa, 21, and Dyllon Mafi, 20, appeared in Benton County Circuit Court on Thursday.

According to the police officer's affidavit filed in connection with the incident, the players got into an argument with Cory Hull and Cody Goller at the Impulse Bar and Grill at 1425 N.W. Monroe Ave. The dispute escalated, and the three players allegedly punched the two men in the bar's restroom. In the report, Officer Michael Withington noted that Goller and Hull had visible facial injuries.

Police booked the football players on felony assault charges, but the district attorney decided at the time to reduce the charges to misdemeanors.

Rosa and Mafi entered not guilty pleas Thursday to the misdemeanor assault and disorderly conduct charges. Fifita entered a not guilty plea on Dec. 10, when the players first appeared in court.

Mafi has been additionally charged with using a false ID and being a minor in possession of alcohol that night.

Because the Benton County District Attorney's Office now plans to take the case back to the grand jury for possible indictment, the date for the players' next court appearance was not set. It will depend on the scheduling and outcome of the grand jury proceeding.

Coach Mike Riley suspended the players indefinitely after the arrests, pending the outcome of the legal proceedings, and likely won't make further decisions about Roas and Mafi's status until then.