Tough loss for the Beavers...
- Getting beat with their own style... Stanford won this game the way Oregon State has won so many games in the last few years. The Cardinal took advantage of Beaver mistakes in the sixth inning to score two runs, hit a homer in the seventh, and manufactured two runs efficiently in the top of the ninth.
- Complete game by Davis... Erik Davis went all nine innings for the Cardinal, giving up four runs on eight hits against the Beavers. Jeffery Inman will get the start for the Cardinal tomorrow, who is no easy customer. He's 4-0 on the season with an ERA under 2.
- Defense... Again, no errors, but it's hard to tell what would have happened on a play in the bottom of the ninth involving Lonnie Lechelt and Drew George. John Tommasini and Jordan Lennerton had started the game at second and first, respectively, but were substituted out of the game in the bottom of the eighth. Lechelt and George replaced them defensively in the ninth. Lonnie nearly threw out an Jeff Whitlow on a tough play to lead off the ninth, but the throw was a bit low and George couldn't dig it. If that play is made, the Beavers have one out recorded and Stanford may not score two runs in the top of the ninth.
- Beaver Offense... The Beavers matched the Cardinal in hits with 8, but left nine men on base. The most memorable moment involving runners left on base came when Joey Wong struck out with the bases loaded in the second inning after one run had scored and the Beavers were trying to add to a 2-0 lead. Joey was 2-5 on the day and Jordan Lennerton was 2-4.
- Winning streak snapped... Oregon State had beaten Stanford six consecutive games at Goss Stadium prior today's game.
Jorge Reyes will get the start tomorrow in the rubber game of the series.