Who's who in Bakersfield
Head Coach: Rod Barnes (former Ole Miss, GA State HC) [1st season]
Record from last season: 9-19, lost last 8 games
Key player for Bakersfield: Rashad Savage. He is the leading returning scorer and rebounder (7.5 ppg and 9.9 rpg).
My view on things:
Bakersfield lost a lot from last season, and even still it went 9-19. Throw in the fact that there is a new coach at the helm and I don't think this team is going to get that much better than last season.
Even in last season, the Roadrunners are anemic on offense. They were a putrid 39.6% from the field, even though they shot slightly over 33% from 3 point land. They are also slightly under 69% from the line. Meanwhile, they can't stop anybody, as opponents on average shoot 48% from the field, 35% from free. The Roadies are also outboarded by 5 on average as well.
Savage seems like a good offensive piece to build around. He's also good rebounder for a 6 foot 6 guy. Let's see if Joe Burton, Eric Moreland and Angus Brandt can stop him. Given their heights, they have a chance to do so.
The Roadrunners are also 2-11 away from home last year, and they are even in more of a disadvantage.
This should be a game that the Beavers can win, even though Bakersfield is miles ahead of Pacific. A couple of questions coming in:
- Can Nelson, Murphy and Brandt shake off the rust?
- Can OSU continue the man defense and limit Bakersfield to under 40% shooting overall, 30% from 3?
- Can Cunningham continue to bomb away from 3 if the chance presents itself?
- Can the Beavs get off to a fast start and put themselves in a good position to win?
- Who will be the freshman contributor of the game?
- Can the Beavs make the freebies?
Regardless, best of luck to OSU. GO BEEEEAVS!